Saturday, March 13, 2010

geode easter eggs to make with your kids

These are fun to do with your kids. Especially if you've got a kid like C who loves to make charts - she made a diagram to keep track of the results and everything.

Easter Egg Geodes: food coloring, egg shells, hot water, minerals



The egg below used sea salt - just the generic table sea salt from the grocery store. I like how the solution soaked through the egg and grew crystals on the outside too.



Unfortunately, I lost the chart C made so I am not sure but I think the egg below used Borax.


The coolest eggs by far were these eggs which used Epsom salt. Tip: Epsom salt can be bought at Dollar Tree, for...you guessed it 1 dollar!!


The eggs (especially the Epsom salt eggs) were remarkably tough to break - but we had tremendous fun studying the crystals.



Oh, one tip. If you plan on making these start them several weeks in advance (unless you live in a really, really dry climate). It takes awhile for the mineral solution to evaporate.






I wrote a complete tutorial for these which you can find at Suite101.

I am sharing this at lots of great sites, check them out.




Easter Decor Day at Life as Lori



Growing our Own Garden: Easter Decor Inspiration Linky

14 comments:

  1. I love the texture of Epsom salt when added to any stuff..and this idea rocks!!
    Thanks for visiting Kosmic Chai Crafts, and the comment as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never seen salt do that before! What a fun project:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cool, my kids would love to do an "experiment" like this, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. My Daughter is going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so cool!

    I would love for you to link up to check me out saturdays over at my blog www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO COOL! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I can't wait to try these with my daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE love love love this. Just posted about it at my kids design blog!

    http://www.smallforbig.com/2010/03/geode-easter-eggs-startem-now.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great project! I linked on my weekly roundup - thanks so much for sharing! (Love those dollar stores :>))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesomeness! I'll have to run over and check out your tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:20 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do these work inside of something else? Is there a reason for the eggshells?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would definitely work in something else.

      Delete